Saturday 27 November 2010

Curve gully Nov 27th.


Well I had my first snowy experience in the Reeks this winter. As a cold spell is underway I headed back to Kerry more in hope than expectation. There was a liberal dusting of snow down to about 250mtrs and the place was looking great. I decided to have a look at Curve gully.

Carrauntoohil

Cnoc na Peiste

Gradually as I gained height the temperature dropped and the wind became more intense. Soon enough when I gained the third level there were clouds of spindrift being blown straight into my face. Real winter had arrived. I climbed quickly up to the second half of the gully and was hopeful that at this height (800mtrs) there would be some quality ice appearing. So I donned crampons and brought out the axe and headed up. Unfortunately things alternated between drifting powder and cruddy ice. Still the biting wind and cold (complete with hot aches) made it a genuine winter experience.

Summit cross
Looking up Curve gully
A quick lunch on top and i decided to have a look at thr Beenkeerach ridge. Things were looking great but the wind was problematical so I decided to decend O'Shea's gully instead. Progress was rapid and I enjoyed the decent and the wonderful views. Work unfortunately is in the way to further outings in the next five days, here's hoping the artic weather lasts until next weekend.
The Hags Tooth overlooks the Hags Glen

No comments: