Thursday 1 November 2012

A few days in Sneem, West Kerry

Valley near Lauragh
Margaret and me went for a short family trip to Sneem in County Kerry. This is a lovely little village on the western end of the Iveragh Peninsula right in the heart of the Ring of Kerry. The area has it all, mountains galore and a wild and rugged coastline offer options for all types of adventures. This time round I was just doing the tourist thing so touring by car and exploring the local villages and towns was the order of the day. We did a circuit of the Beara Peninsula on one day and delighted again at the gorgeous villages that are to be found there. Splendid coastal scenery was another highlight of the day. I am resolved to return on my bike and explore the area in more detail. If you ever get the chance do this circuit and I am confident you won't be disappointed.


Coumeengearagh


We stayed in the apartments attached to the Sneem Hotel which allowed us to bring Ruby as well. These are really well appointed two bed apartments and offer really superb value. I was also able to use the gym, jacuzzi and sauna in the hotel. I didn't get the chance this time to avail of the complementary Kayaks or bikes but I intend to the next time we visit.

The second day we went to Waterville and went on another lovely tour around Ballinskelligs and Valentia Island. The scenery is a match for almost anywhere and it was nice to have a nice relaxing time. I couldn't visit such an area of course and not do something outdoorsy so on the way back I availed of the opportunity to run a section of the Kerry Way. I started at Caherdaniel and ran back to Sneem. This turned out to be approx 18 kilometers with 400mtrs of ascent. It is for the most part a reasonable path but don't expect not to get quite muddy. There was one section which was under construction that was a complete mucky mess where I actually went into mud above the knees. I had to go into a stream after and give myself a good washing, Brrrr. Anyway all in all I really enjoyed the outing and I intend to do more of the route in the future. The jacuzzi really came into its own that evening and it worked a treat to ease the aching legs. Fish and chips to die for in a local restaurant that evening topped off a lovely day. I would really recommend the area for a visit and especially the Sneem Hotel Apartments which were great and really good value. I will definitely go back in the not too distant future.

No comments: