Sunday 3 August 2014

Sampling The Best Of The Reeks-The Hags Glen Horseshoe

To my shame, it has been five weeks since I had a rucksack on my back, so today I made amends, and took the opportunity to visit the wonderful Reeks again. My trip to the Alps isn't too far away, and I felt I needed a good workout to help with my training, so I opted to do the Hags Glen Horseshoe. This is probably the finest horseshoe walk in the range, (possibly the country), and with around 17 kilometers of distance, and 1700 meters of climbing, it would provide a worthy workout. The weather looked like it would play ball as well, with plenty of clear skies, (although big two were capped with a little cloud), and only a light wind blowing, so the day seemed set fair.
The East Reeks looking inviting.
Cnoc an Chuillinn looking good

Towards Knockbrinnea

From the summit of Knockbrinnea

The Benkeeragh Ridge

I left the carpark at Lisliebane at 10.45, and did the round in an anti-clockwise direction, so I could enjoy the breeze at my back for the second half of the day. As is usual, I had the hills to myself until I reached the honeypot of Carrauntoohil, where the hum of lots of voices greeted me in the mist, long before I could see the cross. Lots of people were about until I passed the "zig zags", and thereafter I once again enjoyed quietude for the remainder of the outing. The weather just got better and better, and it was a stunning day. I arrived back at the car just over six hours after I started.  I thoroughly enjoyed the day in one of the most beautiful places in Ireland.
Towards the Black Valley and beyond

The lower lake and Mangerton

The CnocknaPeiste Ridge

West along the Everagh Peninsula, stunning.
The view back across the Hags Glen

Walk this way

No comments: