Friday 13 August 2010

The Hags Glen Horseshoe

Yesterday I went too the Reeks and decided to do the Hags Glen Horseshoe. This is a substantial outing which involves about 1600mtrs of climbing and covers a distance about 15 kilometers. The weather starting out was not great with low cloud and occasional drizzle. The brisk breeze meant that the day had a distinct autumnal feel. I parked at Lislebane and used the new bridge to cross the Gaddagh river. The combination of a few beers the previous evening and the inclement weather didn't make the long slog up to Cruach Mhor any more pleasant than usual, so it was head down time and I just pushed on. Upon reaching the summit, the dearth of any views and the conditions meant I headed straight along the ridge. I forsook the rock arret and stuck to the path all the way to Cnoc na Peasta. By now the day was improving and views down to the glen displayed themselves.
The walk along the eastern ridge proved very pleasant and I quickly reached Cnoc an Chuillinn. The wind was for some reason quite strong here so I forsook my usual lunch spot and continued on easily over Cnoc na Toinne and down to the Devils Ladder. Normally by now my legs feel quite tired but today I felt strong and the awful slog to Carrauntoohil's summit passed easily and I made great time to the top. There was a fairly sizable group on top but I found a quite spot and enjoyed my lunch. The arrival of a large group of noisy French students hastened my departure and I went quickly down to the top of O'Sheas gully. On over the Beenkearach ridge in blissful solitude and I was soon at the top. The descent over Knockbrinnea was good and the day was now good and the views to the Dingle peninsula lovely. There was a good crop of Blueberries to be had and I made frequent stops to taste some and even collected some for home. I arrived back at the car at four fifteen on the dot so the full round was done in five hours. This is a very good time and I was well pleased with my fitness and the day.

No comments: